Tuesday 7 January 2014

The Quiver

 
I have for some years wanted to make a quiver. I finally got the excuse and the opportunity in December.
 
This one I made from brain tanned buckskin. I only had pieces left so I had to sew pieces together to make a piece large enough for a quiver.

After  sewing the pieces together the next job I did was to make a rawhide insert to fit in the base of the quiver so the arrows do not wear the buckskin so quickly. Rawhide is really versatile stuff. It is very tough and stiff until you wet it. When it is damp and pliable you can from it into a shape and hold it there until it dries and it will keep that shape until it gets wet again. I made a raw hide 'cup' that would fit neatly in the bottom of the quiver. Whilst this was drying it was then the long job of the beading.
 
For the beading I wanted to use colours inspired by the forest so this meant lots of greens. I wanted to avoid red as this in nature tends to be a colour of warning and so stands out too much. I used mostly size 13 Charlotte cut beads so it took longer to complete than it might have done. I also used some size 11 Charlotte and some plain size 12. I am really pleased that the beading still looks neat even though there is a range of sizes.

I have sewn it together using sinew and linen threads.




The feathers here are the off-cuts from making flights. These are Buzzard.

 
What did surprise me was how long it took to decorate the strap. This took so long because it was a very fiddly job.

I now finally have a quiver to take with me whilst practising my primitive archery whilst walking in the woods.
Shame the weather is so poor. It looks like I may have to wait some months before I get the chance to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment