Tuesday 21 January 2014

Creative Bush Craft.. Pre Historic Bangle

A Slate Bangle
 
 
 
 
I just thought I might share a creation I made about eight years ago. I made this after watching an episode of Time Team that used to air on Channel 4. In this particular episode they were excavating on Bownsea Island (I think). After finding mysterious slate bits, they realised they had actually found a slate bangle production centre possibly from the iron age. These bangles were constructed on a lathe and what they had found was the waste centres.
 
These bangles were believed to be special in some way. They do look amazing. I was compelled to give it a go.
 
Mine was made by sawing a rough round shape. Then drilling a hole and then sawing out the middle. Then lots more elbow grease in smoothing it and polishing it. None of this done with power tools. I blunted a few saws making it.
 
I love wearing it but it is fragile. I imagine many were broken and it was that, that kept the production centre going.
 
The middle became a whorl for a drop spindle!
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment