Friday 10 February 2012

My Statute cap


One of my favourite pieces of Tudor kit is my Statute cap. Ironically one of the only things I have not made. I bought it from the re-enactors market last spring. I think the lady who makes them also makes them for the Tudor Group. It is a work of art!

What is a Statute Cap...?

Well, with out doing any research and trying to rely on poor old memory:
During Elizabeth's reign she laid down a law that all men must wear a knitted cap produced in England on a Sunday. This was to help keep people in work (The spinners and knitters). Because it was a law it was also called a statute = A statute cap.

It is knitted in the round and has been felted.

I love this hat, and wanted to make it even more useful...
Well, I thought it would be a good idea to waterproof my cap.

This I did by dissolving a tiny bit of lanolin in boiling water. I then poured it into an old washing up tub and filled the rest with cool water. In went the cap. This the soaked in the greasy solution for some hours. I then took out the soggy mass and squeezed very very gently and left it to drip all night over the sink on an old oven shelf. It has to be kept flat. The next day I cleared a space in the airing cupboard and let it dry fully.
I hope now to have a water resistant Statute cap!
No doubt I will not have to wait long to find out.

Watch this space... as they say....

Another ongoing task is to look after the shoes. Most of them being hand made are pricey and as such need to be taken care of. I had let my Tudor Latchetts (this is what Tudor shoes were called, the boots were start uppers) go after a muddy Christmas. I had to brush off the mud and soak in a new layer of Dubbin. This is used for horses tack and such like. It is a mixture of tallow and oil. Similar concoctions were probably used throughout history.
I use it on my hand made Saxon boots. I must say it is the best thing. If you keep it up regularly you will end up with a water resistant and very comfortable pair of shoes.




No comments:

Post a Comment