Friday 11 January 2013

The Hobbit - My Outfit!

I went to see THE HOBBIT over Christmas.... Like many other people, But, I made an outfit to go and watch it in!

I wanted to use some of the Black silk velvet I had.

I love silk velvet.

I love the look the drape the mystery of it. I hate sewing it!

I have tried all sorts of tricks that I have heard and found on the Internet. I still usually end up doing it the old fashioned way though.
Pinning then basting stitches then sewing on the machine. It is still not straight forward. I sometimes resort to sewing it by hand. I have had a lot of practise at hand sewing from all my Historical recreations.

I still have to use the machine to do the over edge stitching on modern clothing. This usually comes out terrible on silk velvet. But as long at it does the job I have had to put up with how it looks. As long as it does not affect the outward appearance and functionality of the garment.

I wanted an every day elf style dress that I could wear over more normal mundane clothing. I had to make it slightly larger but I ended up making it too big..
It took ages and no shortage of swearing to get it to fit. But after countless adjustments it looked OK.

I was not sure how to fasten the front. I used a trick from Tudor clothing. Instead of the usual buttons I used ties.This idea also makes the dress more adjustable if I put on weight. I bought some sheer black ribbon to do up the front. This I cut into tie-able lengths and then fray checked the ends then hand stitched them into place.  I also used this method on the sleeves. So when I leave it undone on the sleeves they hang down loosely.



I also wanted a high neck collar. But I did not want it to be stiff but soft, unstructured and slightly slouchy.



With the fabric that was left over I made my signature Elven Travel hood. This is separate and can be used as a scarf instead of a hood. I wanted to perfect my design so I can try and sell them in my Etsy shop later in the year. This I  lined in a silk cotton mix fabric especially designed for comfort as a lining.

 
The term 'everyday elf' is quite deceptive as elven clothing is always beautiful and elegant even what is considered everyday wear.

I will try to add my pictures but the Blog will not allow me to upload any images. It has not let me for a while. it is annoying!!

A picture speaks a thousand words even a poorly taken photograph like mine...


 
 



I have found a round about way of adding pictures.... Even more difficult and convoluted than it should be......

I may have to find an alternative blog provider if I can not adjust to the changes.









No comments:

Post a Comment