Thursday 8 November 2012

Ginger Ale / Beer



Whilst making my ale I took the opportunity to syphon off some wort. I added my wild yeast (Alfred) to this liquid and left it to do it's thing.

It took a couple of days to do much but when it did it was lively and very active. It was still happy this morning so I decided to make some ginger ale.

It is at least a year since I have made any but it is a deceptively simple process, with astonishing results.

Firstly peel then grate or chop a couple of ounces of ginger. I find taking the skin off makes a better flavour.

Dissolve 2-3 ounces of sugar in about 2-3 litres of tap water over a slow heat. Do not heat over 40-50 degrees Centigrade.

You can add the ginger any time in this process until this point.

Leave the gingery mixture to steep for an hour or two.

Sterilise your bottles, strainer and funnel.

Cool the liquor to ambient temperature.

When you are ready add your prepared yeast  to the bottles then strain the gingery mixture into this too. Shake and stir! Then seal the bottles loosely and keep it thus for two days.

Then refrigerate it. It will keep for up to two weeks.

Good Luck and enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment