Saturday 20 October 2012

Sour Dough?


After making the dough and kneading briefly I put it to rise. Not expecting anything to happen. We had to go to a wedding reception last night so forgot all about it.

I came down this morning to find that he had risen out of his large bowl and almost knocked of the heavy glass lid.

I gave it another knead and pulled some dough off to make some skillet bread. The rest I shaped into a large loaf.
I then left these to rise until when I prodded it it sprang back enthusiastically. This took about two hours.


I found an empty cereal packet and used this to cover the rising dough. This is pegged loosely in place.
 
I cover my loaves and baking tin with bran. This helps to prevent it sticking. It does not always work though.

Here it is ready to enter the oven
 
It took about 35 minutes in the oven while this was cooking I attempted some skillet bread. I heated an iron skillet I have not used for about ten years. It was covered with dust. I have an electric hob and it still works well.

I covered it with a casserole dish to make a small oven. It rose well and tasted good.
 
Here it is drizzled in Honey
 
This took about 10-20 mins on a skillet over a low temperature. The first one got burnt but I still ate it.


The actual loaf was then ready......

This tastes amazing. An unmatched flavour. I may never use dried yeast again!
This particular loaf is a real taste of the past well worth resurrecting.










No comments:

Post a Comment