Wednesday 21 March 2012

A pair of modern Moccasins.

These are a pair of moccasins I made a couple of years ago. They took me much longer to make than they should have done. Most of my beading projects end up like that.

They are constructed from smoked brain tanned buckskin. The beading was carried out in size 13 charlotte cut beads. The red are size 12 tri cuts in an iris coating. I have put a little Mother Of Pearl button in the centre of the circles. They are finished off with earth paints. I have rubbed a yellow ochre into the uppers and red into the laces.

I have made them to a traditional Cheyenne design but the colours are funky. I have heard that the design represents the tipi camp or the internal arrangement of a single tipi. With the door facing the rising sun. The design just below the tongue I have been told is the Morning Star.



The soles are made from a heavy latigo leather. Constructing Moccasins is one of my least favourite jobs. I do not mind beading them but sewing the upper to the sole..ergh.. I end up with lacerated hands.

The buckskin I used for these was a seconds. That is it was not the best. I was inspired to make these after I made a mini pair in similar colours. I saw how pretty they were and wanted a pair for myself.



I have always admired this traditional design. I would spend hours looking at old pairs and be mesmerised by them I knew I would make a pair one day.

It is great t be able to make moccasins as they fit like a glove. You can not buy a pair of shoes that fit better than a pair of Moccasins made for yourself. Because they have been heavily smoked they are very practical and I wear them a lot.





No comments:

Post a Comment